Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Uniform

Since I just soaked my clothes and everything (actually her clothes), I asked her how I was supposed to clean up. She takes me to this room at the end of the hall, where I see toilets and showers. I ask what's wrong with them and she says the waste processing system isn't recycling like it's supposed to and it just ends up clogging and flooding the bathroom and she'll get someone to fix it in a few days. But she says there is one thing that works and she hands me this hose thing with a brush attachment. She said it's a little harsh, but I could use it to scrub clean for now. She washed my arm to demonstrate. You push a button and a spray comes out with soap, and at the same time a vacuum sucks the liquid back in.
She then says it's high time I get into uniform anyway. And she leaves the room.
It's quiet for awhile. All I hear is the droning hum of the ventilation system. I just kill time by looking around at everything, opening cabinets, looking in the showers, messing with the weird buttons.
I jump because I suddenly hear someone whistling. I go to a vertical tunnel to investigate but can't see anything.
Then Sigma comes in with a white plastic container. She opens the container and I see the "uniform", a green tunic with a gold logo on it, a plastic diaper and a pair of black leather leggings with no crotch.
I said "you've got to be kidding." I said this couldn't possibly be the uniform. But she said it was. I said I wasn't wearing it, but she said that in addition to it being required as part of my job, there are no toilets, we don't have breaks, and the tunic is branding. I said nobody will see me, but she reminded me that I can see people on the computer, so they can see me. I asked her if I could just wear the top and get some real pants or at least wear something over the diaper, but she said that was "impractical" and the thing she had was what people have been wearing for years. And plus she wanted her clothing back and didn't want me to ruin any more. I said that was an accident, but she said she didn't want any more accidents and to just wear what she gave me, and that it's a required uniform. She just floated there, with this expectant look on her face, not looking too happy. I asked her how she'd wash her clothes if the system's broken and she said the clothes washer worked. I didn't think I could climb into that, so I just stared at my "uniform" and weighed my options.
I needed a job. I was stuck on this ship. I hadn't seen a paycheck for my wacky little excursions yet, but I knew I was soggy and couldn't just go in her closet and get something else because I didn't know where her clothes were on that station. I finally said okay and took them. I told her to leave. She said the...whatever went over the...something and left.
There was sort of a privacy curtain there, so I drew it around myself, cleaned up, then put on that ridiculous outfit. I put the leggings over the diaper because I thought that was what you were supposed to do. When she came back in and saw me, she said it went the other way. There was a big enough hole on both sides for that to make sense, so I reluctantly went back behind the curtain and changed it around. After that she said it was time for me to work.
So we go back up to the cube farm, with me dressed in that ridiculous costume.
I thought I'd be safe from embarrassment, since I presumed it was just me and Sigma on the station, but I was wrong.
The moment we walked around the corner of the cubicles, this female with pink hair and pink fur comes floating up to me.
She had on a "uniform" like mine, but she wasn't wearing the leggings. Probably on account of having such hairy legs.
She looks at me and giggles, then we're introduced.
Sigma tells her who I am and we're introduced. The pink one's name was Minda, and I guess she'd been with the Dogos program for more than three years. Sigma explained how I was there to "fill in" for the sick people and says there will be plenty of time for us to get acquainted later. So Minda goes off and I'm led over to a cubicle.
It reminded me a lot of the cubes we had at GE Money Bank. Instead of the low type where you could see over the top, they had high walls where you couldn't see much of anything once you're sitting at one. The desk she picked for me was facing Jupiter, but I had to stand up to see it.
I had a desk, a hologram computer with a rock keyboard, and a leather office chair with a back support that clamps onto the desk like those safety bars on roller coasters.
Briefly, I considered asking for another desk, but I realized I still would have to turn around backwards to see Jupiter. So with a sigh, I buckled myself into the seat, activated the computer and wondered how bad it could be.
It was crazier than I expected. There was no lull between calls. As at NCO, I had 30 seconds to notate the account, and then bam, the next call comes in.
I still found it jarring to open up windows and put people on hold by rolling rocks around.
It's difficult to remember everything I did on the "phone" that first day, or the ones that followed, because the calls just kept coming.
I'll write what happened next some other time.

No comments: