Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Back to the grind

I'm back to doing Target/BBL for awhile. I thought it would be refreshing to do halfway normal work for a change, but today sucked.
Halfway through the first hour of my shift, the computer system fails and I get this lady that asks me to guarantee it won't be too late to change her order if she calls back. I tell her I can't make that promise so she demands I call her back when the system is down, not the other way around. I told her I would. I took the verification information, but she put down the wrong name so I still had to call her.
It turns out to be a waste of my time. I was able to add the items she wanted and cancel the original shipment, but she wanted to combine coupons and use a coupon she didn't have, so that sucked. Also, the manager (Joe) handed me this pile of papers and a cheap "photo album", and one of the papers gave all these retarded reasons for an automatic fail on a call. It's as if to say they can fire me for any reason they feel like.
Once the phones came back on line, I really got in deep shit. This black lady that does the call monitors pulled me aside and said to go into meeting. I had to sit there at her desk, in Arthea's chair, while she did who knows what, and then she led me out of the BBL area. I go into this office and meet this other strange lady and they tell me the meeting is about an e-mail.
What happened was I had this lady on the phone the week before I left and she was pissed about losing a $20 Fashion Club reward without having it expired or applied to anything. I really thought a mistake was made, as the reward exists, but there's no documentation to support it being expired. It was still within the date, and nothing was recorded. So, unknowingly, I sent a message directly to the women's clothing company, and I guess I didn't put information in it, so they sent me a screenshot showing the unrelated $10 she just received recently. I sent an e-mail back saying, "That's obvious. What about the $20 reward that was expired without being used on any purchase?"
Only now am I catching heat for it.
Anyways, they browbeat the hell out of me, and I could sense I was about to lose my job. It's likely my new position would go with it. I said I was sorry, and lied and said the e-mail wasn't intended to insult.
Lessons I learned:
1. Never e-mail the client about anything. Send it all through the team lead.
2. Never side with the customer. Especially about $20. That f***ing bitch isn't going to get anything. Maybe there is a benefit to sending form letters.
I felt bad about making a false promise to the customer, and felt guilt about neglecting my duty to assist her with something I assumed she deserved, so I forwarded a request to have her reward reactivated to the team lead, Scott, who is a dead ringer for that stupid lawyer guy from the movie Idiocracy.
Scott didn't understand the problem, either. He told me about the wrong reward, the $20 that was used on a purchase, instead of the one that wasn't used on anything, and had no documentation of a purchase. I give up.
The lady was a whining, greedy, stuck-up bitch and probably had used it on something and it just wasn't documented. I don't care anymore. Nobody understands me. Let her call back about it. She'll be someone else's problem now.
Honestly, if Scott was looking at the right part of the account, he could be right. I'm just assuming he looked at the wrong reward. Either way, she's SOL.

No comments: