Thursday, September 17, 2009

Going in space

Okay, so back to what happened Saturday.
I had a few Cokes before I came onboard and I suddenly had to go. When I asked her where the restrooms were, she said "that reminds me. We've got to get you a uniform."
I told her I didn't understand the connection, but I had to pee. That's when she tells me the toilets are all broken and the company has provided special suits that absorb our waste and converts it to water and fertilizer packets. I said "like a stillsuit" and she smiles and says "exactly." I said no thanks and I'd go back to the ship, but she said someone named Mekilta took the ship to Titan while we were touring. I thought I could hold it awhile so I asked when she'd be back. She tells me Friday. Great. So an entire week of pissing in a stillsuit.
I said I never saw Mekilta, and she said she "was probably in the workout room when we came in and left through another tunnel". I told her I wanted to see for myself that the ship was gone, so she leads me back up to the dock where we came in, and she takes this white rubbery suit out of a compartment, handing it to me, along with a helmet. I asked her if that were my uniform, but she said it was a space suit so I put it on. She did the same. My bladder settled itself, so I said it was about time we tried a space walk.
We donned our helmets, and she opened the "airlock." Once there, she closed us in the chamber and hooked umbilicals to both our suits, and the opposite hatch came open.
The air around us blasted out, and I felt myself drifting.
I didn't see the ship we came in on, or that fleshy stuff. I crept forward, looking around the edge of the "airlock", and that was when I noticed things weren't right. I saw no ground. No floor. No scaffolding or any trappings of artificiality. Not satisfied, I found a railing with handholds and crept along the edge of the airlock, onto the outer hull.
About a yard or so away from the hatch, I looked around and I peed in the space suit. This wasn't earth. This thing was floating in the middle of nowhere, with big assed Jupiter looking like some kind of huge whale's mouth about to eat us. I was floating. I wasn't being pulled towards the earth like I would have been if I were in a plane flying in the upper atmosphere.
I freaked out and scrambled back in. Once we were back inside and had the door shut and the helmets off, she saw my expression and laughed at me. I told her I went in the space suit and she sighed and said she'd have to get someone to clean it.
I told her I believed her now, though. I believed everything.

No comments: