Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Back on Terra Firma

It went on longer than a week.
I just got back today. I've got more to tell than I've got time with all my work and stuff going on, and I want to do some normal stuff like drawing and listening to .mp3's and playing video games for once. I might not do many posts about work for awhile, either. Life is crazy, and I can't easily pack everything into one day's posting.
On Saturday, I packed a week's worth of clothing, as well as my whole BSA camping kit because I didn't know what the hell I was getting into. The lock blade knife seemed like a good idea for self defense. I also brought towels. My experience at the Conifur convention told me to not trust people to provide anything.
In fact, I mentally debated the food issue. I assumed she had something, as she'd given me meatloaf and enchiladas before, but I worried if she'd slip me a mickey and I'd end up naked in a tank of slime again. On the other hand, I realized I'd be spending a week with her, possibly alone, and she'd just as easily slip something into my food supplies, inject me with something, or douse a rag with chloroform and knock me out with that. Still not sure, and wondering if she'd run out, I packed some food from the kitchen cabinets, and grabbed some other things from the store, enough for a week or more, and then I went to the ship.
Before I left, I told my parents I was going on a week long business trip and they were impressed. If they knew the truth, they probably wouldn't be as much. I told them I was going somewhere in Kansas, but wasn't sure where. Close enough. I may have been in a tank full of slime, and it may have left me smelling like...whatever for the rest of the day, and all that other stuff, but I still couldn't accept the idea that the sea cucumber thing could actually go into space.
So anyways, I brought my suitcase and grocery bags to the usual place.
Sigma showed up at the entrance of the "ship" dressed in a short green kimono top and black leather pants with her tail curling out from the back.
When she saw what I brought, she laughed at me.
I asked her where to put my groceries and she showed me a chute-like drawer on the wall. It seemed like as good a place as any so I slid a grocery bag down there. It didn't make a noise, so I figured it was cushioned for things like bread and eggs. When I asked if more would fit in there, she made this little grunting sound like a ferret and told me it would. Her odd grin should have told me something, but I'm not that good at reading people...or whatever she is.
So, figuring it to be like the baggage chute at an airport, I put the rest of my groceries in there. I asked her if there were a way to get them out again and she grunted and said yes, so I didn't think too much of it.
Then she took my suitcase. I followed her into another room to see where she'd put it and it was a good thing I did. Instead of tucking it away somewhere, she laid it on this thing that looked like a mammoth jellyfish and rooted through everything. She threw my clothing all over the floor and the jellyfish, then proceeded to poke around in my camping supplies.
I yelled at her and told her to quit, but she didn't. When I asked her what she was doing, she said she was searching for contraband. I told her she was violating my privacy but she told me she was entitled to search my property for drugs due to the fact I signed an agreement to allow such searches when I first applied at NCO. I told her I remembered no such thing and she chided me for not reading it.
Then she found my lock blade knife. She said weapons weren't allowed onboard the Getohako, so I explained how useful it was for other things like cutting rope or cooking. She only responded by saying I didn't need it.
She set it aside and then told me I didn't need my matches or Swiss army knife, either. I tried to explain how they were harmless, but she didn't care. She took my bug repellant, and some other stuff, but I had given up arguing with her. It was pointless.
She took my stuff and put it in a locker somewhere. Then I had to pick up all my clothes. The jellyfish thing was kind of a bed, it seemed. It was spongy and flat and you could sit on it, even though it was sticky, you could see through it, and there were wiggling things on the bottom.
As I was putting the last of my clothes back in the suitcase, I saw her thumbing through my bible with a bemused expression on her face. I decided to let it be because she could use some of the lessons in there.
She asked me if aliens needed Jesus.
I said I didn't know, that they might have their own messiah and there's nothing in the bible that says anything about extraterrestrials unless you're being really creative.
So then she tells me to go into the other room to train. I took my suitcase with me, and I looked around for a place to store it. I poked around and ended up finding a pretty large cabinet thing, so I put the suitcase there. I heard a soft click and a muffled thud, but I figured it was just my suitcase falling over in the compartment.
Sigma grinned at me and pointed to the computer with the gravel keyboard. I asked her if she wanted me to work and she said no, I needed to get better at the language module.
As I studied, I felt everything shake. I asked her what happened and she said we were taking off. I asked her who was piloting and she said it's automatic and we were just going up to the station anyway. I rolled my eyes and said okay. The room had no windows, so I had no clue what was going on outside. Thinking it to be an elaborate joke, I just ignored the externals and focused on the training program.
When I had completed yet another language module, she said I could take a break, and she digs a board game out of a cabinet.
It's Solar Quest. Never thought I'd see that game again. The game she had wasn't even updated to reflect Pluto's demotion, but I didn't care. It was something to do while we waited for...whatever.
After a couple turns, she points out a spot near Jupiter and says that's where we're going. At first that confused me because I was thinking in terms of the game, but I realized she was talking about the "station" where I was supposedly going to work. I kind of laughed and said okay and kept playing.
As we were playing, she told me all this stuff, like how that thing she put in me was like a liver and I could now eat alien food without it poisoning me, and that she is different from other Abreyas because she was born with bumps on her ears and body and that it's some kind of medical condition like warts. She asked me if it bothered me. I said not really since they're not all over like that one lady at Sprint.
I guess I could have done better to make her back off I'd said it's disgusting, but I value my job, and well...there are other reasons.
I was in the lead, with the greatest amount of space property on the board, when all of a sudden the pieces started floating into the air. She laughed at my puzzled reaction and put the pieces up before they could make a mess.
That was my first clue that the thing had actually gone somewhere without a truck.
She put the game away, then she took out these things that looked like scoops, and a cluster of ring shaped hoops. We were floating at this point, so she climbed across the room by means of handlebars and crescent shaped depressions in the floor, to the "door" at the end. Her tail is very versatile. She carried a pair of nets with it, and was able to have a hand free to climb. I, on the other hand, had trouble with carrying the rest of the equipment and had to juggle.
I followed her into the hall in the room beyond, and she set up the hoops, sticking them into specially designed sockets marked with symbols. She then went into another room to change. When she came back out, she was dressed in a one piece black-yellow bikini thing, and carried a bizarre looking puck thing that was covered in feelers.
She told me the rules and we played this weird game. Apparently the goal was to throw the puck through hoops, but the hoop had to correspond to the color the puck was glowing in or it didn't count. It was really challenging, especially since she was using an extra scoop with her tail, and her feet had thumbs on them.
We played this game for a good twenty minutes or so, and it got easier when she decided to give herself a handicap by not using her tail.
When we were done, we were all sweaty and she asked me if I wanted to take a shower. I said no thanks. I really didn't think it would be a good idea to get naked there, but I figured I'd have to shower eventually.
We put the stuff up and she said I should train some more. We'd been conversing in her language frequently during the game, but I guess I wasn't fluent enough so I went through another language course, and a program that told me how to use some other computer system.
While I was doing this, she told me more weird stuff about herself. She said that all "Abreyas" had tongues like hers, that they naturally split into four parts and that their dentistry, and kissing, is more interesting because of that. When she started describing other "interesting things" their tongues could do, it quickly got too graphic and I told her I'd heard enough. She didn't quite get it so I told her I didn't want to hear about the things she did in the bedroom, and asked her to stop. She finally did, despite how she protested that it doesn't necessarily happen in the bedroom.
One of the coffee table things (they weren't really like any tables I've seen before) in the room had a hologram thing built into it, so she switched it on and I could see it playing the Discovery Channel. She offered me a sofa and showed me how to change the channel with a track ball thing attached to the arm. The menu wasn't arranged like the ones I was used to seeing, and some were in that script I saw on the training software, but most were English.
She seemed to have all the channels...on earth. Well, maybe not the local ones, but a ridiculous amount, nonetheless. I watched MTV Japan, and as I'm watching, she sits down next to me, close enough for me to feel the texture of her bikini on my arm, and she asked me what I wanted for lunch.
That's when the trouble started. More about this in the next post.

No comments: