Thursday, September 17, 2009

Space station tour

Sigma has a weird toilet on her ship. I didn't mention it before because it just looked like yet another wacky movie prop, but I've had to use it a few times before during my language training sessions. Sigma told me how to use it. On earth, it was fine because I could just go in the big cup and not have to do anything weird with the vacuum attachments. Well, since we were floating and I had to go, I actually had to use those attachments. If you know anything about astronauts, you'll know what I'm talking about. Anyways, I used it a couple times during the trip, and this is going to factor into the story later. So we're at the "station". Sigma gets out of her chair and I follow her down a hallway to a hatch on one side of the room. She opens it and I see this fleshy bridge thing connecting to a metal airlock structure. She scans a badge through a device on the door and I'm looking at a carpeted hallway you'd see in an office building. She leads me in and starts playing tour guide. We climb down the hallway on handlebars and footholds set in the walls and floor, and she shows me the break room, the main conference room, and the call center. The call center was the most impressive, since the cube farm occupied the entire wing of the structure, and it had a huge window overlooking the planet Jupiter. She was right. Jupiter was so huge that I couldn't see anything else, even though that side of the building was just one big long window. I asked her how we weren't being sucked into Jupiter's gravitational pull and she just laughed at me. I didn't see anyone there. Not a single person at the desks or anywhere else. I asked her why that was and she said they were out sick. I guess they had some sort of space crud. I forget what she called it, but I guess it wasn't fatal. She said they were at another base recovering. She showed me another conference room, then we went down a vertical tube tunnel to another carpeted room. She showed me a gym (which we had to use to avoid atrophy), our "sleeping quarters" (more jellyfish beds), and another break room. This break room "upstairs" was a bit small, but this one was more like the lunch room at NCO, roughly the size of one and a half semi trailers. Okay, not that big, but close. Like everywhere else, the tables were bolted to the floor and there were seatbelts on the magnetized chairs. I was surprised to see vending machines, but they basically contained nothing but blue Fanta soda, flavored water, and thin diet pretzels. That's it. Row upon row of them. I wondered who put those machines in, who's rotating stock, and who's buying. I still don't have the answer to that. On the sides of the break room were two "gardens". She showed me those next. They were basically greenhouses equipped with lamps and sprayers, and they only seemed to contain one or two different types of plants. They weren't the type of plant I've ever seen before. They reminded me of sea plants, like anemone more than anything, but they had mouths and eyes and lots of wiggling tendrils. One of the "gardens" contained a farm and I got to see "Zufa" firsthand. They were gray and they had no eyes on their heads, only a proboscis. They had tails like puppy dogs and claws like lobsters. They sat in stacked cages like some PETA unfriendly chicken farm, but I didn't feel sorry for them. I just thought they'd be too fatty without them exercising. She showed me the freezer, and then we looked around the garden some more. I sketched the layout on one of the work handouts I was given. It looked like this:( Picture here) The circles with the X's on them are the tunnels we used to go from one chamber on the ship to the other.

No comments: