Saturday, September 19, 2009

Jupiter call center

After a couple calls, I noticed a sound like water running over rocks in a stream, and soft chirping noises. I looked over and saw Minda in the desk five cubicles away from me. I kept staring at her, probably because she was the only one in the whole place besides Sigma, she was amazingly quick with that weird keyboard, and I thought she was kind of cute. I sat there wondering if she were more polite and civilized than her boss.
I was fine for about six calls. It was relatively simple to verify the required details to open up Vunlid's, Qufdams, and Dagmivos (apparently the three major types of vessel preferred by most of my customers). I got some stares, but other than that no one really seemed to care what I looked like. But then I got a difficult call.
The guy was naked and locked out of a Wivaren (he loved how I pronounced it, by the way). He knew his name and the ID issued by his country's government, but he didn't know the names of the owner's relatives on the file, his payment card number, the answer to the security question, or his "Firbo" address. (The last one needs explaining. Firbo is something these aliens use instead of e-mail. It's not quite the same. I tried it out. You kind of talk to it, for one thing, and it's not arranged according to the concept of postal mail (the icons make no sense to me).
Anyways, he didn't have any of that, but he was outside naked and he said I should let him in because the ship is an old piece of junk and doesn't deserve such security. When I said I couldn't do that, he yelled for a supervisor. I tried to at least get him to ask twice for one, then put him on hold.
I couldn't find Sigma anywhere in the call center, so I climbed my way down to Minda.
I tapped her on the shoulder. The moment I started talking, she held up a hand like she were on a call, but there wasn't a call. Then she's like "Hold on! Wait! Wait!" And I wait, and she wiggles in her chair and looks like she's relieving herself. She farts, and I'm pretty sure she did relieve herself. Oh lovely.
She asked me to continue, so I do, after taking a moment to recover from the shock and disgust. I described the problem and she told me to just hang up.
I said "really?" And she said yes. I asked her if I'd get in trouble and she said no, not if he's naked. So I did.
I got a call about servicing scientific equipment, so I ordered a repair. Then I ordered repairs on faulty weapon systems for a couple people, spoke to some guy calling about a missed shipment of Wusu seed (wrong number), and handled some other stuff.
I had two more calls after those, then another problem happened. This guy's air equipment was failing and he was out in the middle of space somewhere. He was rattling his information off so fast that I couldn't find his account. I guess I don't blame him for being so upset, but it was difficult to help him when he was like that. Not only that, but our system couldn't bring his air system back on. I tried it. Several times. It gave me an error message and wouldn't cooperate. I told him there wasn't anything else I could do, and he told me it might be because it's a problem that needed to be fixed manually and he wanted me to send him a repairman. Actually, he demanded that I send him a repairman.
I tried to request one, but the system told me he hadn't paid his contract for three months and so was not covered under the service program. I discovered this when I tried to request service. So he called for a supervisor.
I went to see Minda again, explaining the situation. She said we really can't help him. She said it was "tough but fair" and that it's not our fault he's in that situation, he should have stayed on a planet that had air instead of flying around without coverage. Then she tells me to hang up on him.
I could kind of see the logic behind this, but I asked what would happen if he'd call back. She said to hang up again. I asked her if that was what she did and she said yes. I asked her if she ever got in trouble and she said no, so I asked her if she were lying. She said no.
I really didn't feel good about that, but I hung up on him.
The next five or so calls were simple. Then this guy calls in wanting to make changes on his account, but he didn't know his Firbo address and had no useful information, and he wouldn't get off the phone for nothing. He ends up asking for a supervisor. I still felt nervous about just dropping calls, so I go over to Minda's desk. Unfortunately, she's on a call. Not sure what to do next, I just hang up on him.
I successfully handle another handful of calls, then Sigma tells me I can quit for the night, unless I want overtime. I say no thanks and wander the ship.

No comments: