Friday, October 2, 2009

Reprieve

Tuesday.
We were still stuck at the station. Nobody had brought the ship back yet. I wasn't happy about that, or having to work every day of the week. I grudgingly went about my work, biding my time.
I had this one guy call about a problem he had with a retailer. It was one of those dumb situations where the guy wanted to complain to a supervisor because he couldn't get away with violating company policy. I offered to send him to corporate but he said they wouldn't listen. His voice sounded funny and I couldn't help smiling a little too much. Before I could shut off the picture, he really got mad and kept demanding a supervisor. The problem was, the escalation line was busy and my two crewmates were busy. So he just waited and waited and then he insulted me and made fun of my looks and made comments about one of the stories circulating about me. I just put up with it because it was my job. He wouldn't let me put him on hold or anything. Eventually I got Sigma to take the call.
The other calls went more smoothly, though more people were asking strange questions about me getting drunk on something called Vefrek. I wondered how they knew that but didn't ask them.
I went to lunch and asked Minda about it. Her response was "I don't know, maybe Sigma said something." And then she looked sad. I asked her why she looked glum and she said "You're leaving." I sighed and said yes. I told her I was tired of the station and wanted to go home and she could come visit me if she wanted. She just sighed and said nothing. I told her it was good we hadn't done anything beyond what we did or it would have been worse for her. That made her nod. Then she just stared at the table. I thought about doing something to comfort her, but I figured that probably would have made the parting worse.
I took some more calls. Another crisis about scientific instrumentation on a Liobvalx cruiser. And stupid account system problems. Just the usual stuff, nothing memorable. The architecture of the spaceships and dwellings was pretty uniform and uninteresting for the most part. The novelty had passed the first couple days I'd taken calls. And those calls weren't any different. I logged out for the day and went to the break room to watch cable.
About a half hour later, Minda comes into the room, looking like she'd been crying or something. I didn't know what to say. She sat down next to me on the couch, wrapping her arms and tail around me, so I put my arm around her. She tries to kiss me, but I push her back and tell her no, explaining the biblical stance on marriage. She said that wasn't what I was saying that night we were kissing, but again I said I was drunk.
Then she asks me, "Is it worth marrying someone if your partner is of a different species and you don't know if their sexual equipment is compatible?" It wasn't a very subtle question, so I said if she's talking about an Abreya, then yes. Until I knew for certain, the marriage would be a valid thing. If it really was impossible, the two could just go their separate ways, but all that means is that their wedding shouldn't be a huge spectacle. She sadly nods and we just cuddle.
I have another study session with her, do some exercises, and prepare for bed.
When I was heading down to the crew quarters to sleep, I heard a shout. I went out to investigate, and Sigma was telling me to get ready to go and that the ship was here.

No comments: