Friday, May 6, 2022

Surfing on a dinosaur

 I still use an XP computer to get online. I like it because my XP is my fastest computer, unlike my HP windows 7. 

My windows 7 computer is balanced on top of a dresser. The keyboard is awkwardly positioned on top, the mouse inconvenient. It's in a room that's freezing in the winter. Needless to say, I don't like using it much, except with things I can't do with XP, like video editing. Unfortunately, I seem to be forced to use it more and more these days.

I don't like how the new models look. I don't want windows 10 where everything looks like a phone. I do all my art and writing on XP, I like the speed and how it handles my drawing stylus (on 7 it lags) but slowly things are being phased out, one after another.

I can no longer get windows updates or update the scripts on XP. They said my computer is too old. I can't remember if it's flash or java or something else, but they don't want to help XP with it.

Mail.com is requiring that I disable tracking protection. Okcupid always made me disable it. Recently, fanfiction.net is doing the same thing, but a lot worse. It will tell me that it's checking my browser and to wait five seconds, forever. Explorer is pretty much dead for the task, and now I see Firefox is no better. They changed how you handle tracking protection on Firefox so it's done automatically, and fanfiction's server doesn't like it half the time. Today I had to use a windows 7 computer to get in. Of course, I didn't try chrome. I think that might buy my XP a little more time.

I want to use the renpy program and the point and ags studio, but both those things don't work on XP anymore.

Facebook is still kinda working, but with XP a lot of stuff looks bad, and it gets sluggish due to all those flashy features designed for more advanced browsers.

City union mission's donation receipt page comes up blank in Firefox when I'm using XP. The only way I can tell that the charge went through is because there's a box I can click.

My church has a donation page, and I can't even use it with this particular browser and os. 

My bank doesn't accept chrome or Firefox on XP anymore. It used to let me go ahead and get a security code, but now it just gives me a warning message saying that an extra layer of security is required and refuses to move to the security code page.

I'll add more to this when I encounter further problems.

No comments: