Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Isolation

The following morning was equally quiet. They made it a point to avoid me. That could have depressed me, but I was looking forward to actually having working toilets on board, since they said they'd be fixed that day.
I ate by myself and went to the phones.
Things were going okay until I had a call about an accounts security related problem. The fact that she knew me from the paparazzi didn't help matters. It escalated and I needed a supervisor. I found Minda, but she gave me a cold brush-off like supervisors at my old department did. Did you check in the knowledge center. You shouldn't be doing x, now go handle the call that you can't handle. On the subliminal level, they are saying "Don't talk to me. Go away." I ended up sending it to another department, on another planet, I'm guessing.
I took one call about alien clothing, which was a strange experience. I spoke to this guy that acted like a sissy when he didn't get his boots. And I mean a sissy. He didn't act manly at all about it. After that, I went to lunch and sat in the break room all by myself. Nothing new about that. I'm a loner. I've been eating alone for years before I came to Jupiter.
Being alone like that gave me a lot of time to think about things. I started to figure out I had feelings for these aliens, and I cared about them, and I really wanted to help them to get to this "Chisda" they spoke of.
Also, I realized that being in isolation tends to increase one's fear of abandonment.
I went back to the phones.
At the end of my shift, as I'm leaving my desk, both Sigma and Minda approach me and say that Jesus might be their religion's messiah,a nd they wanted him in their lives. And so, after telling Minda that she won't go to Beptot for rejecting Jesus since she came back, I asked them to apologize to my God and led them both into a conversion. Again.
Very awkward. I wasn't sure if this was what space aliens needed, but I felt better, I guess.
We did some studying then. They showed me the prophecies from their book and said it had to be Jesus and that's what made sense and it seemed plausible to me the way they said it. But I really didn't know their holy texts well enough to be certain.
Once we stopped for the evening, I had a workout and watched cable and went to the crew quarters.
As I was going to my bed, Sigma came up to me with another clear package. She pulls out the contents and I see it's a cape and some silky gray dress with elegant patterns stitched into it with red thread. She told me it would look good on me, but I said no.
As I was lying there in my bed, I heard banging sounds. I followed them to the bathroom, where I saw a male Abreya in person for the first time. His name was Wlodek. He had a gold pelt and wore a blue halter jumpsuit with harem pants. I wasn't too bothered by the outfit because I'd seen them wearing that on the hologram, but I still thought it was weird. The good thing part was that he was fixing the plumbing, which made me very pleased.

No comments: