Monday, September 28, 2009

The conflict begins

As I was climbing my way to the workout room, Sigma stopped me and gave me this long lecture on how I was wrong to convert her friend. I told her she'd asked for it and I had no idea if it were the right thing to do. I just did it because she asked. She said that, because of me, Minda wasn't going to Chisda, her version of heaven. So I repeated the fact that I'd been asked to do that, and it really wasn't my decision. She argued that I taught her all that stuff and so it was supposedly my fault. I told her I believed people had something called a free will, and that it allows them to make wise decisions and poor decisions alike, and that I never once threatened her to do anything. So she sighed and went away, and I had my workout.
After that, I had a study session with Minda. We read through her holy text and read from the bible and talked about them both. She found some interesting prophecies in the Gaxea, stuff that could be construed to mean Jesus, but I pointed out that they could be interpreted to mean other people as well. She said nobody else really fit the bill, so I wasn't sure what to make of that.
Halfway through our study session, Sigma came in, looking angry. She told me to stop teaching "my myths" to Minda, and that she could fire me for creating a hostile work environment. I told her it's not my fault, Minda was just curious. So she asked to speak with me privately.
So Minda leaves the room and she tells me to convince Minda not to believe in Jesus, and that she'll really fire me if I keep this up. I told her that really sounded like religious discrimination, and said I couldn't do anything about it. I was a bit gleeful at turning the tables on her, but I tried to hide my emotions so that things wouldn't get worse. I told her firing me wouldn't change Minda's mind, but only reinforce her convictions, so she floated off in a fuming snort.
I went back to studying with Minda. She was so obsessed with her spiritual crisis that she didn't want to do anything but search for answers, so I didn't do anything but study with her until bedtime.
Up to now, I hadn't brushed my teeth or flossed at all, and it's been about two days. I asked Minda if she had anything like a toothbrush onboard, and she takes out this small device.
It looks like a crab. Some kind of robot or something. I watch her stick it in her mouth and it pokes and drills and sprays like a miniature dentist.
She takes another one out of storage and hands it to me.
When I tried the thing, it started stabbing my tongue so I had to pull it out. Minda quickly reprogrammed it and it worked fine after that. Better than a toothbrush any day.
I got into my "jogging pants" and went to sleep.

No comments: