Monday, September 28, 2009

Religious spat

After the usual preparations, and a lesson about emptying out my "stillsuit" (Minda showed me a vacuum attachment on the wall you plug into a pocket on the side), I went down to breakfast.
As I and Minda were eating, Sigma comes in and starts yelling at us. I didn't really know what her problem was, since she really never behaved like a religious person anyway.
But during the course of her ranting, I surmised she was afraid that the rest of her crew would also convert, and that it might somehow cripple business.
I just shrugged and said it wasn't under my control.
After this, she said she was going to "make things very painful" for the both of us, unless we changed our ways.
Minda looked a little upset about that, but personally I didn't care what happened to me. I told her she wasn't convincing me to believe her religion was right, or that Minda was missing anything by becoming an apostate. After that, Sigma asked Minda to pray with her.
She did, and after voicing her concerns, Minda prayed about hers, and Minda started expressing her doubts. The next moment she was apologizing to Ponai for Jesus worship and we were back on square one again. I gave up and went upstairs to work.
It was the usual stuff. No clothing calls, no paparazzi. Just the usual weird Onstar thing.
At the designated time, I logged off the phone and went down to the break room to have lunch. When I got there, I saw Minda seated at a table, studying the Gaxea. When she saw me entering the room, she seemed to pale, then she was packing up her food and taking it elsewhere. I decided to leave her alone. I just ate by myself. Then I went back to the phones and did that for a few more hours.
When my shift ended, Sigma, looking sort of smug, put me through another introduction to the clothing company I'd be doing calls for. I learned about the product, the marketplace, the clothing terms, and the way the reward system worked. We went over the general etiquette of communication with these new "clients" and then I just killed time on the space station. I could have done more work, but eight hours is far too much for me already.
I played a couple computer games by myself, tried to read their books, exercised and went to bed. Everyone avoided me, so it was a pretty quiet evening.

No comments: