Thursday, May 22, 2008

Embarrassing memories at J.A. Rogers

I went to the middle school at J.A. Rogers in Kansas City. We saw roaches in the cafeteria so we called it "J.A. Roaches" after awhile. I always brought my lunch. The most embarrassing memory I had of that school was the day where I was "king" of the cafeteria. They brought me up to the center of the room, at a table slightly elevated off the floor on a stage or something. They gave me a hot lunch and had me sit next to some girl. I actually think it was Sally Wright, but I could be imagining that because I secretly had a crush on her. Anyways, I don't know who I sat next to, but they made me wear a tinfoil crown as well. Like a dummy, I ate my bag lunch instead of the hot meal they had made. I was already eating, and it probably wasn't the best meal, probably mashed potatoes or something. Anyways, I ate my lunch instead. I felt like an idiot.
Another memory I got from there was my first experience with art critics. I was drawing something like Bucky O'Hare and other furry critters, and some kid drew a big X across the whole picture with whiteout our a pen or a marker, totally ruining at least an hour's work. I would take this memory with me later in life, when I decided that people really wanted art with humans in it. I figured, to be truly cool and successful, I needed to draw stuff like X-Men and scantily clad women and omit the furries.

No comments: