Saturday, May 21, 2022

Word choice

 In high school, my English teacher gave us an assignment: How would I improve the school? Or maybe it was write about how you'd like to have someone improve the school. I don't remember.

At the time, this guy named Brett was constantly throwing stuff at me, and I was mad, so I wrote that killing him would improve it.

The paper I wrote had some funny stuff at the bottom, about sending Brett into space and being made to watch cheesy movies like Mystery Science Theater 3000, but Brett only heard the "kill Brett" part, and after the teacher read it to her whole class, Brett came by in my art class and beat the crap out of me. I also got taken to the principal's office, and my parents got called in.

The moral of the story is: Don't write about killing anyone you know, even as a joke. You don't know how someone will take it...Or if a teacher that you aren't fond of is going to betray you to the student body.

Also, a person who makes funny jokes about people you don't like, but also does mean things like throwing objects at your head may not actually be your friend. Not everyone is like your dad. 

Oh, and thank goodness for pot. Like, for example, if you say that you want two guys dead on a letter, and you put the wrong last name for one of them. If Ed hadn't been high on pot at the time, I would have gotten beat up by more than one person.

No comments: