Friday, December 19, 2008

Close encounters of the identified kind

S. Benson writes a story at http://www.qsl.net/w5www/stories2.html that sounds a lot like a case of nerves and scary identified objects.

"Sighting #1: It was the year 1999. I was homeschooled, so I could stay up late ( I am a night owl). One night, I turned off the t.v. at around 1:30 A.M. I went into my room, and started to make my bed. I felt a breeze, and turned around to shut the windows. There, in front of me, in the left window, was a face. The face was beastly, yet had a manly air about it. Hair, like a mane, surrounded it's pale brown face, and faded as it reached the face features. It had glowing yellow eyes that stared directly at me. It had a curved nose, like a dog's, and an open mouth. Black lips pulled back, revealing long, sharp. yellow-stained teeth. I could hear it's breath through the screen."

If it's a window and it's dark, that could be your scary face superimposed on an object outside. It could also be a raccoon or a possum. In the dark, a dog can look like the grim reaper. The noise could have been the wind, the animal breathing, or an object in the house that amplifies sounds, like the sound of your breath.
"I had frozen in fear, and didn't faint only with the wonder of what might happen to me if I did. I finally ran from the room, and spent a sleepless night in the guest bed. Since the first sighting, I kept all of my shades closed, and reclined from going in my room, but my mother would often open them to let light in."
Did your reclining position prevent you from going in the room?

"One night, I entered my room to see that the shades were open. I checked each one, and when I came to the third window, the window that I had previously seen the beast in, I saw it once more! It was just staring at me! This time, I gathered my courage, and decided to stay, and see what it would do. After a while, it just left!"

There could be a mirrored surface outside the window and you can't see it through the screen very well. If you live in a scrap yard, or a place that's filled with junk, perhaps a piece of reflective debris is stuck in front of your window. Or maybe your brother is playing a prank on you.

"The last sighting... hopefully. I had started to trust the room again, believing that there was no chance that I could see it again. I was laying on my bed one night, reading. I started to open the shades to let the cool air in. I came to the third window, and hesitated upon opening it. When I finally did, though, the face was there once again! I stepped back, and waited for it to do something. Once again, it just left! This all happened in a period of four months. I haven't seen it since."

The fact that it didn't do anything lends credence to it being one of the possibilities above, or something else equally mundane.

No comments: