Monday, December 12, 2022

Avatar

As Avatar 2:  The Way of Water comes out in theaters, promising huge box office returns, I am once again reminded of how God prevented me from publishing a novel that could have potentially embarrassed the hell out of me in front of millions of people.
Long before the original Avatar got release in theaters, I wrote a similar story:  Guy gets cryogenically frozen and taken to an alien jungle planet full of "half human cat people" who ride flying creatures.  
The difference:  Mine was a combination science fiction and inspirational Christian romance...not some half baked Vietnam protest/save-the-environment story.
Also, awkward because I'm obsessed with The Neverending Story, and I thought writing a story about being shy around women would help me to face my fears.  By a similar token...pretend girlfriend.
In my defense, women write romance novels with lots of pretend boyfriends in them, and nobody thinks it's strange, but I'm a guy and this is embarrassing and probably not something I want the whole world to know about anyway.
That being said, I put a whole lot of work into the novel, edited it numerous times, and you're probably curious about how it may or may not resemble Avatar at all, so here's a site where you can read it for free:

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3365464/1/The-Quaceb

And here's a site where you can buy it in paperback to save yourself some eyestrain:

Book Link


By the way, I made changes to the plot after Avatar came out, mostly out of frustration about how many similarities I thought I saw.  But honestly, not getting recognized for this embarrassing piece of fluff is probably the best thing to ever happen to me.

No comments: