Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Socks

My apartment is drafty.  I didn't know how damn drafty until Covid hit and they forced everyone to work from home.  As I sat at my cheap desk day after day, cold air would breeze under the door.  For a long time, I wondered if my circulation had gone bad, but then I wrapped a blanket around my feet and found that the blanket had become ice cold after awhile.  Horrible apartment.
Now, my job gave me Amazon giftcards as a sort of bonus.  One of my first real job related purchases involved ordering various types of socks and seeing how well they insulated my feet from the cold.  I have yet to find one that truly keeps my feet warm.  An electric heating pad actually served me best over these long cold days.
At any rate, I tried a lot of socks, and here's my review of each type I tried:


*Walmart Brand, Cable knit, woolen, unsure exactly which company made them:  A friend gave me a few packages of these.  They are by far the worst.  The cold air blows right through the little holes.  Not scratchy, but not warm.  Actually works best as a summer sock.


*Busy Socks-Thermal Socks: Average.  The toes have nylon or something on them.  I found my toes getting cold quickly.  The rest of my feet felt warm.


*DG Hill Thermal Insulated Socks:  Started out pretty warm, but then when your feet sweat, you start losing heat.  Layering it over a regular sock didn't help.


*Hymore Thermal Socks:  Traps heat pretty good, but makes your feet sweat *a lot, compromising the heat.


*Cordura Fiber Socks:  They brag about them being heavy duty, but the socks are thin.  I wore them on a hike up to the supermarket.  They seem to create heat by a friction, and being inside a shoe.  If you're sitting in one place for extended periods, however, the cold goes right through.

No comments: