Friday, April 22, 2022

Sweet Pickles

 I have done some fan art of Sweet Pickles characters. I updated them a little and made them a bit more realistic. I'd actually like to get permission to make a new Sweet Pickles book, but I don't know who to contact. I know Richard Hefter and Jacqueline Reinach have both passed away. Wish I could have written to them and let them know how much I enjoyed the books. Not sure who handles the estates.

I looked up Ruth Lerner Perle. She seems to be alive, but doesn't have a website, and she was just the editor on the books. I saw a series of books she came up with that appear to ride on the popularity of Sweet Pickles theme without continuing the series.

I'd like to get a biography of these people. Why did they make the books? Where did they get the inspiration for the outfits? And it's so seventies!

Did they intentionally make the characters gender ambiguous? In Turtle Throws a Tantrum, Vulture looks very feminine, but the blob-like turtle is the girl. Any thoughts?

Were these characters in any way inspired by Egyptian gods, or is it just coincidence? 

How about the racial equality of the books? Hefter was white, and Ruth is African American. How did this affect the production of the books, and the message?

What was the unveiling of the first Sweet Pickles books like? Was it huge, or did they just sell it person to person like a micro brew? Are there photos of the first book signing?

Did they ever have a big banner in Times Square or something? How did they make that commercial with the bus? What happened to the animal suit?

Did anyone model for Sweet Pickles books? Were any personalities based on real people? Was Xerus based on someone that made it hard for them to publish?

Do Sweet Pickles action figures or stuffed toys exist? And what's the story behind Stickybear?

No comments: